Springs are used in a wide range of industries for various types of applications in the medical industry. There are several medical devices that require springs. However, it is very crucial to choose the right spring with proper action, feel, and material, in order for the medical device to perform well. Choosing a wrong or unsuitable spring may lead to failure of the device. Thus, there are certain areas or points you need to consider for purchasing the right spring that best suits the application requirements. Now, you must be thinking what are the points to consider?
Things to Consider for Selecting the Right Spring for Medical Devices
Here are some things that you should consider while selecting the spring for medical devices:
- Types of Spring: There are different types of springs having diverse features, actions, and applications. The three main types of springs are:
- Torsion Springs: The torsion springs facilitate rotational movement. Thus, these springs are used in the applications requiring bending action.
- Tension Springs: The tension springs are used to bring two components back when they are pulled in opposite direction.
- Compression Springs: These types of springs are used in surgical staplers to create a squeezing action.
- Feel of the Spring: When a designer has a clear picture of how you want the medical device to respond when put in action, it makes it easier for him/her to design a spring. To get the right spring, you need to answer certain questions, such as :
- What are the movement requirements of the spring?
- What would be the size restriction?
- How much load is the spring expected to hold?
- What are the required end results?
- Material of the Spring: The choice of spring material is one of the important factors in selecting the right spring for your application. There are different materials, which are used to manufacture springs. However, stainless steel is one of the most widely used materials for spring manufacturing. Moreover, for micro-springs, specific alloys, such as platinum-tungsten and platinum-iridium are used.
- Manufacturing Technology of the Spring: Medical devices generally use springs manufactured by microcoil technology. Springs manufactured with this technology have extremely small dimensions, and are particularly used in those medical devices that are required to go inside human body.
Applications of Springs in Medical Devices
Different types of springs are used in various medical devices. Here are a few examples of medical devices using springs
- Surgical staplers
- MRI & X-ray devices
- Table and bed lift mechanisms
- Drug infusers
When you follow all the points explained above, it will make your search for the right spring for medical devices easier. If you still have any doubts or queries related to the topic, you can always take help from experts, who can guide you. St. Mary’s Spring Company is one such expert that you can turn to for help. The company has a good experience in manufacturing different types of springs for the medical industry. The professionals at the company can help you in selecting the right spring based on your requirements.