Springs have been around for a long time. Initially,they were used to operate toys, catapults, or pens.
However, today they are used to support everything from your house locks to skyscrapers. Stainless steel springs are popular springs, which are valued for their advantages. In the previous post, we saw different reasons for their popularity. In this post, we will discuss more.
Stainless Steel Springs and Their Types
Stainless steel is one of the most user-friendly materials known to man. This means it can be easily formed into any of the following types:
- Compression Springs: These stainless steel springs are one of the most popular spring forms. Typically, these springs react to the load applied by attempting to return to its original shape. The stainless steel compression springs are energy efficient devices due to their ability to resist linear forces.
- Extension Springs: These springs are manufactured with initial tension created by pressing the coils together. Stainless steel extension springs can be availed in varying diameters, lengths, and load endurance capabilities.
- Constant Force Springs: As the name suggests, these springs can stretch themselves beyond their performance range, while maintaining a constant position, and constant force. The constant force allows the spring to retain its coiling position, even if uncoiled during an application. These springs are used in window manufacturing equipment, fire dampeners, and electric motors.
- Torsion Springs: These helical springs are connected to other components. The torsion springs exert rotary force, which pushes components to their original positions.
Stainless Steel Springs – What’s So Great about Them?
Since, the beginning of the post, there has been many references about the popularity of the stainless steel springs. What’s so special about them?
- Sustainability: There has been lots of advancements in the stainless steel material science. However, stainless steel is still considered the material of future. It is 100% recyclable, and retains its quality when reprocessed. This means stainless steel springs can be recycled at the end of their service life, and reused again. Additionally, there is no need for coatings. Most of the coated springs or components out-gas or contaminate the production lines when they deteriorate, thereby making recycling almost difficult. With no contaminative particles, stainless steel springs make a greener option for businesses or people trying to minimize their carbon footprint.
- Resilience: Stainless steel is engineered to withstand environmental extremes. If you are using the springs in an area prone to contamination, water or sunlight, you can always purchase the austenitic stainless steel springs. They can be easily exposed to the ultraviolet rays or salty marine environments without decaying.
- Excellent Durability: The springs are designed to compress under a force. Most springs retain their original length or shape on removing the force. If the force applied is large, the springs may deform permanently. Though there are springs made from special alloys, still stainless steel springs are considered ideal. These components are capable of withstanding powerful forces. Hence, stainless steel springs are found in many heavyweight machinery, and equipment, and can last for years without disintegrating.
- Brilliant Aesthetics: In most cases, the springs are not visible. They are housed in some enclosure, within the equipment or a machine. If by any chance, they are brought out in open, stainless steel springs will appeal with their brilliant aesthetics. Most stainless steel have silver gray color, which lends it a pleasant look. This aesthetical appeal definitely makes it a brilliant investment.
Thus, stainless steel springs are ideal components for people who expect durability, stability, aesthetics, and modesty in a product. Though these springs may appear simple, they lend extreme support to a vast variety of structures, and products. Indeed, stainless steel springs are wonder components that may never lose their significance in years to come.